Monday, November 16, 2009

Pledge A Safer Place

Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is beaten...
Every 46 seconds a woman is forcibly raped...
According to the FBI, 1 in 3 females will be the victim of attempted rape in her lifetime...
Men are victims too...
1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by the time they are 18
Most victims know their attacker or attackers...
Statistics are based on cases that have been reported...
This means the numbers are higher...

I never reported when I was raped. I have been a victim for years, scared and shamed by what happened to me. I am through with being a victim. I am a survivor and I am ready to:

Speak Up about domestic violence and sexual assault.
Speak Out against it.
Support Others who are victims, know victims, or just want to be part of a campaign to help bring an end to violence.

Inspired by Ben Harper's song "With My Own Two Hands" (sung with Jack Johnson)
I realized all the power to change the world starts here in my hands. SO, I pledge to make this world a safer place with my own two hands.

I have created a video that I will be showing to as many people as I can. After watching I will ask them to make a video pledge. Pledging is free. By pledging, they support the end of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. I will post the video pledges here. What started with one person's pledge will become a large circle of people united through their pledge. We have the power in our hands.

Please support A Safer Place. Share your stories, pledges, comments with us here.
Thank you and thank you to all who are brave enough to make video pledges, especially those who are victims and have been willing to share that.
Peace,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment